Thursday, May 30, 2024

One Day at a Time

In May 2023 my sudden shortness of breath led to a variety of heart/lung tests and scans. In September I was diagnosed with interstitial lung disease caused by an autoimmune disease (Sjogren's) which had been silently attacking my lungs, leaving me with only 50% of my lung capacity, I thought that was the end for me and found peace in my Buddhist practice, but then was referred to a wonderful medical team who prescribed a drug, developed for organ transplant patients, that suppresses my immune system.

So far, tests are showing that I remain at 50% lung capacity, which my pulmonologist says could be maintained indefinitely. As I settle in to my new normal, what brings me the most joy is reviving my love of making abstract collages. Working on them helps me forget my fatigue, shortness of breath, and constant dry cough. These are hours of joyful play with no plan and no expectation—one day at a time.

"Grand Show," 6 x 6-inch collage on canvas

"Alien Invasion," 8x8-inch collage on canvas

"Lost in Thought," 8x8-inch collage on canvas

"All There Is to Know," 8x8-inch collage on canvas

"Alternate Reality," 8x10-inch collage on canvas
 
"Glee Spree," 9x12-inch collage on canvas

"Whimsy," 12x9-inch collage on canvas

"Bon Tableau," 10x8-inch collage on canvas

"Call to Disobey," 6x6-inch collage on canvas

"Lament for Life Below Water," 6x6-inch collage on canvas



"Short Attention Span," 12x9-inch collage on canvas


"On the Moon," 9x12-inch collage on canvas


"No Regrets," 9x12-inch collage on canvas


"On a Lark," 12x9-inch collage on canvas



No comments: