Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I Got My Mojo Goin' On!

Early on in the 2020 pandemic, I noticed I'd become a nervous driver, missing stop signs, feeling anxious about right turns on red, even on familiar streets with very little traffic. This was in sharp contrast to how driving my car had been a natural and confident experience. I often imagined it must be like riding a beloved horse, not just a way to get from one place to another, but a sense of freedom and happiness.

Two weeks after my second COVID vaccine, I drove across town to the vet to pick up flea medicine for my cats, and half-way there I noticed I had my driving mojo back! I hadn't been thinking at all that I was now "safe." In fact, my friends and I had confirmed the latest news with each other that we should still wear masks and avoid being indoors or in a crowd. 

I know how basic and deeply seated a sense of security can be. But I hadn't realized, even with careful steps to keep myself from exposure, how threatened I'd felt. We may have scarier times ahead, but for now I'm grateful to feel safe in my own skin.


No comments: