Monday, August 31, 2020

Inside Our Shells

Eunotosaurus africanus, the earliest known turtle, lived 260 million years ago. Their bony, cartilaginous shell acts as a shield to protect turtles from predators – some can even tuck their heads up inside their shells for extra protection. These cold-blooded creatures typically have a long life span. The oldest ever recorded, Tu'i Malila, of Tonga Island, lived 188 years.

During my long life span, I've always been a bit tucked inside my shell, but these past six months of isolation have made the shell feel very tight, indeed. So I poke my head out daily on a late evening walk (way past the sun's zenith--which could bake my skin here in Gainesville, Florida), sit on the patio with my two cats several times a day to watch the ducks, birds, squirrels, and lizards, and have a rich life of travel and connection through countless novels.

I had trouble with the color of this image, drawn with a bright blue pen that caught the light and showed up spotty in the photo, so I had to darken it considerably, which darkened the background, as well. Perhaps the darkness is appropriate, as the Turtle Totem helps us stay grounded in chaotic times.


 

No comments: