Saturday, August 15, 2020

Beginner's Mind

In my early training and consulting career I studied and attended a variety of workshops to both understand myself and better help my clients. Of most interest to me were models for creativity and creative thinking.

Consistently, I found my own creativity leans toward making the present better, but I admire, long for, and sometimes enter that space where a new and innovative possibility emerges. This space decries any rules, defies prediction, and shows up only if I'm in beginner's mind.

My process with the recent totems is a good example. I was simply doodling with colored pens and sketch paper while sitting on the patio with the cats, smelling the air, feeling peaceful and in a meditative state of mind, just being present.

Not once did I start out thinking I'd draw a particular shape. Only when a sketch felt complete did I stop, mentally step back, and "see" something. The snake is a good example--not quite like any of the other totems, so no precedent--even among the totems--and never repeated.

The totems achieved whatever purpose there might have been in their appearance, and left. I loved their visits and look forward to another surge of innovation, but I know from experience it will take an entirely unexpected form.

Snake Totem helps us listen and watch the environment carefully to find our direction and know when to act.

 

No comments: