Sunday, May 19, 2019

Threnody

Neil Braun taught me the phrase "Fuckin' A." He and Bonnie, Dave and I were at a fancy dinner party at John and Sue Bercaw's. Sue probably wouldn't have invited us, but Neal and Dave and John had gone to high school together, and we knew why we'd been ushered past the posh guests in the dining room to a table in the kitchen.

A bottle of expensive, fine, highly palatable Bordeaux was on the table and we poured it into delicate crystal, wedding-gift glasses. When I went nuts over how delicious the wine was, Neil said "Fuckin' A!"

I laughed so hard I nicked my wine glass against my fine china dinner plate and the stem broke. "Fuckin' A? What does that mean, Neil? Like 'Fuckin' A, not Fuckin' B? Or is it short for something that starts with A, like 'Your fuckin' ass!'?"

Meanwhile Sue came by, saw me holding the stemless glass, couldn't help saying how expensive it was, to please be careful, and I said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, Sue, all I did was accidentally tap it (picking up Neil's glass) against the plate like this," and broke the stem of Neil's glass, too.

Neil mouthed wordlessly, {{{"Fuckin' A!"}}}



Neil Braun died at age 79 on April 18, 2015, only three months after Bonnie.


 I'm still hanging in.

No comments: